Executive Director M-Media
Founder of Medien-Messe Migration
Simon Inou is a journalist and has been living in Austria since 1995. He studied Sociology in Cameroon and Journalism in Austria. From 1992 to 1995 he was co-founder and editor of “Le Messager des Jeunes”, Cameroon´s first youth newspaper. Between 1999 and 2005 he was Chief Editor of Radio Afrika International and of “Informationsportal Afrikanet”. Later Mr. Inou became the project director of BLACKAUSTRIA (blackaustria.at) and took part in the campaign against prejudice towards black people living in Austria. Later BLACKAUSTRIA was also introduced in Germany, Switzerland and the U.S.
He is the initiator of the first fair for migration in Austria which took place in September 2008. In 2009 the 2. “Medien.Messe.Migration” was organised, counting 48 exhibitors and 1.300 visitors.
Furthermore Mr. Imou is initiator of the Austrian project “Migrant Journalists writing for Die Presse”(an Austrian daily newspaper).He has achieved several awards amongst which:
- in 2002- the Styrian journalism prize for reporting on Southern Countries
- in 2004 - the PAMOJA BLACK HISTORY MONTH prize for his commitment to African Communities
- in 2005 - the Austrian interculture prize for his project www.AFRIKANET.INFO
- in 2007 - the EU journalism prize “For Diversity. Against Discrimination” from the European Commission
- in 2008 - an order of merit from the Austrian Ministry for Education, Research, Art and Culture for his extraordinary achievements in the Youth Red Cross and for promoting intercultural dialogue
- and in 2008 - he initiated the first journalism prize for intercultural dialogue.
Simon is currently the project director of M-Media, an association aimed at promoting intercultural media and which is also responsible for the weekly section on integration in the newspaper “Die Presse”.Mr. Inou´s short and long term objectives for the future comprise:
- representing migrants in the media beyond their social stigma of being criminals and victims
- promoting media projects against racism, xenophobia and homophobia
- striving for multiculturalism and multiethnicity
- struggling against racism in language
- helping Austrians integrate in their new environment
Mr. Inou is a media critic and writes for Austrian and international newspapers and magazines.